*smells gingerbread* something smells alot like Christmas...!
The vintage dessert queen - Anna from Mama Bear's Kitchen - has pulled out all the stops in this DE-LECT-ABLE Christmas themed cupcake recipe. The gingerbread cake combined with the butterscotch sauce are a heavenly (and moreish!) flavour combination, guaranteed to have people begging for more #festiveflavour #itschristmastime.
As Anna describes it, "It's a very traditional recipe, but I just love these Christmassy flavours!"
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Butterscotch Sauce
Ingredients - Cupcakes:
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
Click here to grab my go-to recipe for homemade butterscotch sauce - yum!
- Preheat oven to 180C and line two muffin trays with 18 papers
- In a mixing bowl, using a hand whisk, mix together eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add sour cream, golden syrup and warm water. Mix carefully until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, bicarb soda, baking powder, sugar and spices.
- Carefully pour wet mix into dry mix and hand whisk until well combined.
- Divide mixture evenly into cupcake papers and bake in moderate oven for 18 -20 min or until firm to touch and slightly brown.
- When cool, frost with a swirl of butterscotch Swiss meringue buttercream (scroll down for the recipe), adding a generous dollop of delicious butterscotch sauce.
Butterscotch Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 125g Butter, chopped and softened.
- 6 egg white
- 1 1/4 cups castor sugar
- Butterscotch sauce
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer. Place bowl carefully onto a medium saucepan with about 2cm of water in it. (Or use a double boiler).
- Using a hand whisk, mix vigorously until just combined and leave until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Carefully check no grains are left by rubbing a stream of the mixture between your fingers. (It won’t be too hot to touch).
- Once sugar is dissolved, wipe the bottom of the bowl and place in electric mixer. Using a whisk attachment, beat on high until soft meringue peaks are formed, about 5 minutes.
- When you have stiff peaks, change to paddle attachment and put on the lowest speed. Gradually add pieces of butter, a couple at a time until all butter is mixed in. This will take about 10 minutes.
- This is important. Watch the mixture until it starts to look soupy, then turn to scrambled egg consistency. Don’t panic, it is quite normal. Eventually, it will come together into the silky smooth magic buttercream that will blow your mind!!
- Once it all looks and tastes delish, add about 1/4 cup of your favourite homemade (or store bought ) butterscotch sauce. Keep adding more until you are happy with the flavour.
- Using an open star tip, swirl buttercream onto cooled cupcakes, leaving a hole in the centre of the swirl, and pour extra butterscotch sauce into the hole in the middle.
- ENJOY! And don’t forget to eat cupcakes at room temp!