Here’s a question for ya – do you call yourself a ‘cake decorator’ OR a ‘cake designer’?
I can see you looking worried there. Don’t worry, I promise it’s not a trick question!
Sooo many people use the terms ‘cake decorator’ and ‘cake designer’ interchangeably – like they’re one in the same. BUT it’s simply not the case.
Although there are many similarities, there IS a stark difference between the two titles and I’m here to set the record straight.
What are the main differences? It all comes down to the approach and execution (when you decorate a cake).
Let me break it down for you…
- Replicates other people’s cake work, as requested by the client
- Seeks inspiration from cake designers
- Follows cake trends (rather than experimenting and creating original ideas)
- Doesn’t usually add any personal creative flair to a cake
- Designs and creates original cake concepts for the client
- Seeks inspiration from other industries e.g. fashion, architecture, interior decor, etc.
- Intuitive, open minded and not afraid to experiment, and therefore typically a trend setter.
- Makes meaningful, considered decisions at each step of the cake decorating process to create a cake designed with intention.
- Utilises design elements and principles to create a visually engaging cake that ‘WOW’s’ the viewer.
So based on the descriptions above, what title would suit your current situation? A ‘cake decorator’ or ‘cake designer’?
MORE importantly…which would you rather be??
Maybe you’re a cake decorator but would LOVE to be seen as a cake designer one day (but it feels like an impossible feat).
Or maybe you’re in that tough transition period where you WANT to become a designer – and you’re giving it 100% your all – but you feel like you just aren’t ‘getting it’ and that you’re missing a crucial piece of the cake puzzle.
Fear not! Here’s where I come in…
My Boss Bakers Membership Hub aims to take your cake work from ‘now’ to ‘WOW’ by providing you with the design skills you need to create professional and visually engaging cakes like a pro.
The membership hub is full of sweet little freebies to get you started and you can upgrade at anytime to my more indepth videos.
You 100% have the cake decorating talent to make show-stopper cakes. You just need to fine-tune your approach and level up your design skills. Easy!
Click here to find out more about the Boss Bakers Memerbship Hub and say hello to creating Pinterest-worthy cakes.
Trust me…you’ve got this!!
I’d love to hear your thoughts on ‘cake decorator’ vs ‘cake designer’ – leave a comment below and let’s chat.