Cake Decorating 101
Learn the skills you need to create amazing cakes with fondant and decorate confidently at home!
Are you ready to sweeten up your cake skills? In my 3 week program, you'll learn how to ganache and decorate a cake in fondant, PLUS learn a range of versatile fondant textures and decorating techniques!
in Cake decorating 101, now you can!
My 3 week workshop will REMOVE THE OVERWHELM AND GIVE YOU the techniques you need to get started with creating amazing cakes
MEET YOUR CAKE DESIGN MENTOR…
Hey there, I’m Amber from Commie’s Cupcakes and I’m a graphic designer turned cake decorating teacher!
My cake journey started back in 2013. As a graphic designer, I felt unfulfilled and stunted in my job. I started searching for a creative outlet and stumbled on the TV show The Great Australia Bake Off, just as its cupcake episode aired.
The contestants were creating the most colourful, edible works of art I had ever seen! I was hooked.
Cake decorating helped spark that passion and excitement inside me that had been missing for so long! I felt fulfilled again.
What started out as a form of escapism from my 9-5 job, transformed into the business I have today, where I have the amazing opportunity to teach cake decorating and spark that same creativity and passion in others.
If you’d love to start decorating cakes confidently at home, it all starts here! I’d love to help you become the master decorator you’ve always wanted to be.
Professional cake decorating really can be a piece of cake!
Your fellow Boss Baker,
In you'll learn:
Week 1: fondant fundamentals + Cupcake toppers
Before diving into cake-making, you’ll be learning the fundamentals of fondant decorating. You’ll learn how to create these 6 beautiful couture cupcake toppers and master how to use fondant!
- How to work with fondant, including how to colour your fondant and how to harden your fondant decorations. Say goodbye to sticky and cracked fondant – you’ll become the fondant master!
- How to cover your cupcakes in fondant
- How to create and apply a range of textures for that added ‘wow’ factor
- How to use moulds and what to do when you’re fondant gets stuck inside them (eek!)
- A simple and pretty rolled rose that’ll add a sweet addition to any cake
- Ruffles (so versatile!)
- Pretty bow for those fancy occasions
- How to use and apply a stencilled design
- How to use and apply gold lustre dust to create a beautiful luxe finish
TAKE HOME: Fondant cheat sheet & 6 beautifully decorated cupcakes
Week 2: cake – Level, torte & ganache
- The best timeline for making your cakes to ensure productivity and freshness
- My method for creating dark chocolate ganache, plus the ideal cream to chocolate ratio for cake covering (we don’t want it too runny!)
- How to level and torte your cakes
- How to ganache your cake and achieve that sought-after straight sharp edge (and consequently a smooth fondant finish)
- How to store cake in the freezer to use at a later time – it’s so important to lock in that freshness and moisture!
TAKE HOME: Recipe cards & course notes. Your ganached cake will be left safely on my premises, ready for our class the following week.
Week 3: cake – cover & decorate
It’s time to finish decorating your cake! You’re going to learn how to cover your cake in fondant and create this gorgeous & modern cake design that’ll ‘wow’ your friends and family.
- How to cover a cake in fondant using the common ‘draping’ technique
- Learn the basics of how to use Sweet Sticks Edible Art Paint to create a watercolour gradient effect
- Use gold lustre dust to add splattered luxe details
- Learn the basics of how to use edible wafer paper and create a gorgeous pink flower to adorn the top of your cake
TAKE HOME: A beautifully decorated 6 inch cake, course notes & any leftover fondant
All tools and materials are provided for you in class, so you can just focus on having fun and diving into the sweet world of cake! with a small class of up to 3 people, you can be sure to receive the individual attention you need to master the basics of cake decorating
This 3 week workshop will help you take your cakes to the next level. You’ll walk away feeling damn confident in your new-found cake skills! And the best bit? You’ll receive course notes and recipe cards to guarantee success at home!
The workshop will run for a total of three weeks on the following dates and times:
- Saturday 13 Nov, 2pm-5pm
- Saturday 20 Nov, 2pm-5pm
- Saturday 27 Nov, 2pm-5pm
You don’t need to worry about bringing anything, I’ve got your covered! All tools and materials are provided for you in class, so you can just focus on having fun and learning some amazing new decorating techniques!
I would love to have you join my three week program! Cake Decorating 101 is designed for absolute cake newbies to decorating dabblers. These classes will help you to develop the cake skills and confidence you need to create amazing cakes at home!
So together …
Let’s equip you with the tools and techniques you’ll need to create amazing cakes with fondant and decorate confidently at home!
cake decorating 101
Sat 13 Nov, 20 Nov + 27 Nov
2:00pm-5:00pm each week
Address TBC on booking